Monday, October 29, 2012

I Still Keep Your Heart Around My Throat.

This oversized Ralph Lauren shirt is one of my favorite thrift store finds EVER. Typically I'm not one for obvious logos or epaulets, but both work on this shirt, and it's sooooooo soft.  Also decided to rock the forest green hat I found at an antique mall in Grapevine, Tx. It just happened to match my nail color. It's the little things, ya know? 

On a more sentimental note...
When I was a baby before I even had the capacity to create lasting memories, my Poppy (grandfather on my mother's side) gave me this delicate little heart locket with my initials engraved on it. I never got a chance to know him. There was an accident and he became a paraplegic when my mother was around 22. By the time I came along he had been pretty incapacitated for years (unable to speak etc) and eventually he passed. When my mom talks about him she says he was funny. Not in a joke-y cheesy way, but more of an always messing with people kinda way. She said he was handsome, and a great dancer. I was never particularly close with his wife, my NaNa and furthermore, I don't know ANYTHING about my Dad's father (he left when my Dad was small)... 

So Poppy was it. I've always liked to think that him and I would've gotten along or that maybe I am more like him than I am my Grandmother. Maybe I got my sense of humor from him, or my sweet dance moves. Oddly, I miss him tremendously and I never even knew him. This little heart locket is all I have of him, in fact. I've never worn it because it is so precious to me, but I decided to start. Needless to say he is on the top of my list of people I can't wait to meet on the other side. 

Sorry if that was long winded and sappy. Just tryin' to keep it real up on my blog, y'all. 

P.S. Did anyone get the Get Up Kids Reference in the title? Kudos if ya' did.




Belt, RL Shirt: Thrifted, Mixed Metal Bracelets: Yard Sale, Shoes: F21 (old), Corduroys: H&M, Hat: Antique Mall, Aviators: Army Surplus Store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to spill your guts! However, please keep those guts nice and constructive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...