Saturday, June 8, 2013

How to Wear Tropical Print

{Shirt: Vintage, pile sale find (similar)} {Skirt: thrifted vintage} {Glasses: Similar} {Necklace: F21
{Shoes: c/o Charlotte Russe} {Clutch: Abas, old(similar)}

Homer Simpson once famously said, "There are only 2 types of people who wear Hawaiian shirts: gay guys and big fat party animals" Although that may have been the case in the 90's, it is no longer. Although I do kinda consider myself a big fat party animal, it can't be said for the masses sporting the tropical trend now-a-days. 
I have this theory that the "Aloha" trend reared it's ironic little head recently due to economic stress. Who has time to drink Mai Tai's while lounging on a yacht listening to Hall & Oats (traditionally what one is supposed to do when wearing a hawaiian shirt, right?) when there's WORK to do? Most Americans can't afford a tropical vacation, so maybe that lack of ability to put ourselves in a sandy paradise is what led us to dress like we are in one (fashion as escapism, yet again). 

"I'll take my tropical vacation in a size Medium for $15.99, please."

Wanna get a piece of this paradise, but unsure what to pair your tropical prints with? I put together a few ideas at the bottom of this post!

When wearing a bold print it's always safe to go all black with the other pieces in your look:

Matching your shoes or accessories with a bright floral in your print can easily brighten your day:
Pattern mixing with tropical prints is bold, but with traditional patterns like dots and stripes you can pull off something a little more fashion forward:
Whether your print is on top or bottom there's one fabric that makes sporting patterns a breeze: denim/chambray(period)

16 comments:

  1. Ah, your pile sale find! This ensemble is amazing, these photos are amazing, and your necklace is REALLY amazing. Fashion escapism strikes again...dun dun duunnnnn. Srsly this is good. You lookin fine.

    PS- Chels and I will be at the Pile next Saturday if you would like to join the festivities :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww heeeeeeellllll yes. And thank you!
    xo!
    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm you nailed it to the umpteenth degree! i happen to love hawaiian print, and this is one chic as hell example of it's powers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. as always you've hit it out of the park, love this combination

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this slightly restrained version of a hawaiian shirt. the pattern on it is so cute and i'm always excited to see print mixing of any kind. but can we take a minute to focus on that necklace. get out of here that it's from F21! you make it look like a million bucks!

    abigail
    www.farandwildjewelry.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy shiiyyyatttt

    Hawaiian AND leopard!? you're literally a genius. I can't get over how much I love this outfit. i want to imitate it right now

    It's classy and fun at the same time. The white shoes (which I'm OBSESSED WITH) with the white clutch make this just absolute perfection. They add this bit of modern and strictness to the print mixing that takes the whole outfit to another level. you're really a styling genius. I'm DEFINITELY going to copy this mixing -prints-with-matching-stark-white-accessories thing ASAP.

    Thank you thank you thank you

    -gab

    ps: 'rich girl' is my fav song ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, Homer Simpson is a well of knowledge :D As for the Hawaiian print, it's kind of hard for me to figure out what works with it and what not, so thanks for sharing those tips!
    And absolutely love how you styled it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the top... it's to die for!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. See you look amazing but I look like my grandad when I wear Hawaiian prints, not good!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have to agree that fashion can be escapism- and I can totally see that with the tropical print trend. I love how you've pulled this look off- sexy & chic! I also love your guide for those who aren't familiar with wearing tropical prints...genius! XO!

    Courtney

    http://www.cupcakeobsessions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super chic outfit,I love Tropical prints and you are stunning in it!
    Do visit my blog,if you like,follow on GFC,Bloglovin,facebook and twitter,leave a comment and I'll surely follow back!

    http://feistyfoxdiaries.blogspot.in/
    https://www.facebook.com/feistyfoxdiaries

    ReplyDelete
  12. Homer said that??:D He really is one of the best... I love big, bold prints so I'm dying to get my hands on some tropical vacation in a form of pants.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This should not work, but somehow you make it!

    www.monadot.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a brilliant outfit, I would never think of combining those prints! Lovely photo's as well :)
    Maya - Archistas

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang, now I really regret putting back the bright magenta Hawaiian shirt I saw at Value Village. It wasn't priced right for a thrift store piece, so I talked myself into putting it back. This combo of tropical and leopard print is just wonderful! Especially against the backdrop of exploding Whysterias. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to spill your guts! However, please keep those guts nice and constructive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...