Thursday, October 31, 2013

Epiphanies in the Ladies Room


A few nights ago Jonathan and I decided to be cultured and ventured to Venice to see a one man show or  "Pub Play" at The Del Monte Speakeasy (conveniently for this story, the Del Monte is situated beneath the oldest bar in Los Angeles). It was cold and rainy that night, which is a rarity in SoCal, so the dimly lit underground bar swallowed us right up. We sipped our Old Fashions in the windowless room under a low wood ceiling, red lights glowing through fringed lamp shades, mustachioed bartenders chipping ice. The performance (Connor McPherson's St. Nicholas) was amazing...brought me to tears, but that's not the point of the story. The point of the story is the epiphany I had in the pisser.

I made my way to the ladies room at intermission. I pushed open the heavy wooden door expecting white or yellowish walls, bluish buzzing lights, maybe a glop of pinkish soap on the sink..ya know, the usual. Instead I was welcomed by deep orange wallpaper with gardenias outlined in gold. The light was dim, the mirror designated for women to touch themselves up (separate from the sink) floated above a dark, old wooden ledge. A plump velvet chair sat firmly on the floor covered in patterned tiles, petite square and octagonal, clearly still there from some better time. I was shocked at how comfortable I felt in a room meant mainly for defecating and gossiping.

It was then I gazed over to the stalls, one on either side of the entrance, and I saw a small vintage chandelier over each one. Basically I was going to feel like Elizabeth mofackin' Taylor while I took a pee pee. I had to laugh. "This is why I love vintage" I thought. Vintage begets a time when functional items were thoughtful, well-made and stylish. Seams were more tightly sewn, kitchen appliances were pearly blues and pinks, make-up compacts were decorated metal to be refilled, and bathrooms were stylish.

These days we are inundated with gobs of ugly plastic bullshit (to put it eloquently). What is now a "Made in China" fill-in-the-blank piece of plastic that is meant to be used (maybe twice), then lost or thrown out and repurchased was once made of metal or glass or wood and was beautiful and meant to last, so you wouldn't have to buy a new one.

"If I'm going to have toaster, it's going to be lovely to look at"
"If I'm going to buy a light under which I pee, it's going to be a chandelier"

Besides the booze, I think this is why Speakeasys are so popular right now. People want to remember a better time. With our everyday lives filled with plastic and convenience, folks are yearning to experience something thoughtful and well crafted. They don't care if it takes a bit longer. When I think of our future sons and daughters going to vintage pile sales only to pull out Forever 21 dresses and shirts it makes me cringe, which compels me to urge you to buy things that are well made. Or vintage.

And that sirs and ladies is my Thursday rant.

Coat: Vintage (Similar)
Belt: Vintage
Pants: Vintage Guess (Similar)
Boots: Rocket Dog (old, but here's something similar)
Hat: Gift


18 comments:

  1. Fucking spectacular post and omg that belt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I want to see that room! Sounds like such a cool place actually even if it's just to go to pie haha. Anyway gorgeous outfit! Loving that long coat, really pretty print on it and great color! Loving the hat as well :) Maya - Archistas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent rant I must say...
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. all the best epiphanies come while sitting on the can... or drunkenly gossiping with other ladies in crowded nightclub bathrooms... and yes, why the devil not have a chandelier in your bathroom ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this rant,and totally agree with you! Who doesn't want to pee under a chandelier?
    Nicole
    www.younglovestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. spot on! i couldn't agree with you more. i think it's why i love vintage, too. you can tell that vintage items were built to last. they were made in a time where people's mindset was not "oh, it's broken i'll just buy a new one" and rather "i need to fix this so it will last or so i can hand it on".....i feel sad thinking that in the future, there may be a lack of vintage items coming from our time period because nothing is going to survive!
    xo
    n

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting thoughts on vintage. And I love your coat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. couldn't agree more, they just don't make things the way they used to and dressing (for most people) doesn't feel as special. when i buy vintage i like to think the piece meant something special the previous owner and I think of all the amazing things they might have done it…….and the amazing things Im going to do in it. you look stunning…as usual :)
    brooke @ tigers don't lose sleep

    ReplyDelete
  9. This Thursday rant is FANTASTIC. I totally agree. I am starting to weed out the poorly made things in my life and begin to trust the things I own and LOVE THEM.
    Um also you look awesome, I need that coat.

    scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that coat your wearing! Your posts are always fun to read :) The vintage sales I go to are already 70% Zara/H&M/European Forever 21 equivalents. I have a few vintage jackets, I do like vintage fabrics but I don't always like the fit of the clothes. I guess I need to learn how to sew!

    xoxo Iris
    A DASH OF FASH

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree that rooms decorated completely with vintage items are for the pleasure of the viewers to feel propelled to a previous era. I'm taking a wonderful art history class called Depicting Decadence, all about the ornamentation of beautiful interiors in Paris and Vienna in the 18th century. We talk a lot about beauty and functionality, and what it means for an item to function yet still be considered art. I think these days items are churned out so fast in production that attention to detail just isn't even possible- which is so sad! :(

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say, that bathroom sounds AMAZING, I want a mini chandelier!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. even toilets can be inspirational! sometimes life is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving this outfit.
    http://halielandry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hear hear!!! Well put :) Love the outfit...effortless chic

    ReplyDelete
  16. another wonderful post, and so true! i have a couch that was from a home bought from an old granny and it's still in amazing shape. i doubt the f21 bullshit (yep, perfect word, i agree : ) will be around for our kids to pile through vintage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to spill your guts! However, please keep those guts nice and constructive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...